Mountain and Downhill Biking from Abercelyn, Bala, North Wales
Single-track MB trails, fast downhill trails and family trails through forests
Abercelyn is centrally located for several mountain biking centres and purpose-built downhill trails. Several mountain biking centres have beginner/family trails and cafés & bike hire. There are also many excellent locations for mountain biking close to Bala in the Penllyn Forest and the Berwyn Mountains.
The following bike-related facilities are available at Abercelyn:
- Bike Store (lockable) with work facilities
- Bike Wash
- Drying Room
- Mountain Biking Guides and OS Maps
- Ample parking in the grounds.
Specialised mountain bike venues, include:
- Coed-y-Brenin: internationally known mountain bike centre, with 250 km of tracks, forest trails, skills area, café & bike hire
- Gwydyr Forest Centre: 28 km Marin trail or extensive forest tracks
- Hiraethog: a range of trails from family trails to a challenging 57 km trail, café & bike hire
- Penmachno: 30km red trail
- Coed Llandegla Forest: 46 km trails, family to black trails, café & bike hire
Downhill Trails: for experienced downhill riders
- Antur Stiniog (Blaenau Ffestiniog): uplift, 4 trails, jump park, cafe, visitor's centre, British Championship venue
- Revolution Bike Park (Llangynog): uplift assisted, downhill (300m descent) and freeride set in 110 acres of woodland
There is excellent mountain biking locally in the Berwyns and Penllyn Forest, further information in the library at Abercelyn Country house. Bala is centrally located for many dedicated mountain biking centres and trails, which are easily reachable by car (30 mins from Abercelyn).
The Forest Enterprise provides specialised mountain bike centres, including:
Coed-y-Brenin: internationally known mountain bike centre, with bike hire facilities and cafe, (north of Dolgellau on the A470) where the 250 km of tracks include:
- MBR (18 km)
- Yr Afon (11 km)
- Beast of Brenin (38 km)
- Tarw (20 km) formerly the Red Bull
- Dragons Back (30 km) Formerly the Karrimor route
- Temtiwr (9 km)
Gwydyr Forest Centre: Gwydyr Marin trail (28 km) or extensive forest tracks. MTB link
Penmachno (5 km south of Betws-y-Coed) 19km trail
Llandegla Forest: with bike hire facilities and cafe, (on the A525, 7 miles west of Wrexham) (MBWales link)
- Family Route (blue): 4 km/2.5 miles
- Beginner Route (green): 12 Km/7.5 miles
- Intermediate Route (red): 18 km/11 miles
- Black run: 1 km/just over half a mile, with steep downhills and a wild series of jumps.
Lake Vyrnwy (intermediate, 21 km) start at the visitor centre Llanwddyn (near the dam).
Several routes in the Hiraethog area around lake Alwen and Brenig area, see also MB Wales
The Wayfarer a classic cross-country 48 km ride through the Berwyn mountains.
Bikes can be rented from:
- Bike shop, R H Roberts, 7/9 High St. Bala, Tel: 01678-520 252 (see below)
- Gro Cycles, Erw y Gro, Sarnau, Bala (on A494, 3.5 miles north of Bala), Tel: 01678-530 415 or 07867 984 314
- Coed-y-Brenin Visitor Centre (north of Dolgellau on the A470), Tel: 01341 440742 (reservation recommended in main season)
- Trawsfynydd Holiday Village Mountain Bike Hire, Bronaber, Trawsfynydd, near Coed-y-Brenin, Tel: 01766-540219
- Beics, Beddgelert Forest Campsite (A4085) Tel: 0800 298 5835
- Dolgellau Cycles, The Old Furnace, Smithfield St., Dolgellau, Tel: 01341-423 332
- Llanwddyn village (near the dam), Lake Vyrnwy