Guided Walking with Ray Hind - Mountain Guide
Enjoy scenic or high-level walks with a qualified mountain guide
- Guided Walking for individuals and small groups, single-centre or treks
- Introduction to Scrambling
- Navigation Training
- Geocaching Introductorily Course
There are special prices for Abercelyn guests.
Walks are led by Ray Hind a qualified Mountain Leader, who will select the best walks according to the abilities and wishes of the group.
Abercelyn is ideally situated in Snowdonia for mountain-walking, there are three local mountain ranges (Arenig, Aran, Berwyn) readily accessible. The local mountain ranges provide un-crowded walking over a variety of terrain, ranging from scenic valley walks to peaks approaching 3000 ft. Other parts of Snowdon are easily accessible including classics such as the Nantlle ridge, Snowdon horseshoe, Bochlwyd horseshoe and many more.
Types of walks:
- Scenic walks: typically 3 hours either relatively level walks or with ascent less than 2,000 ft
- Scenic walks with geocaching - a high tech form of a treasure hunt, using a GPS receiver to find a cache
- High-level walks: more strenuous walks typically 6-9 miles, 5-6 hours and ascending up to 3000 ft
- Classic mountain ridges, such as the Aran ridge, Cader Idris circuit, Nantlle Ridge
- Scrambling (between walking and climbing): introduction to scrambling or more
Of course, walks can be tailored to the group's wishes.
Navigation Training possibilities include:
- Introduction to navigation, ideal for a family
- Refresher while on a guided walk
- Micro-navigation for bad weather
- Preparation for Mountain Leader assessment
Geocaching possibilities include:
- Introductory course with experience, ideal for a family or "team bonding"
- GPS experience on a guided walk
Prices for Guided Walking or navigation training with a qualified UK Mountain Leader:
- Half-day: £60/group, e.g. scenic walk
- Day: £100/group, e.g. high-level route
- There is a 25% reduction for those staying at Abercelyn (B&B or Cottages)
- The price is per group up to 6 persons
- Morning session: 0930 - 1230
- Afternoon session: 1300 - 1600