Enjoy geology walks with a qualified mountain guide
We offer guided mountain walking with geology information in Snowdonia on a daily basis at special prices for Abercelyn guests.Walks are led by Ray Hind a qualified Mountain Leader, who will select the best walks according to geology interest. See guided walking for cost.
Geology holidays in Snowdonia
Stay at Abercelyn Country House and enjoy two days of guided geology walks among some of the area’s most spectacular scenery and graphic geology. The walks are led by Paul Gannon the author of “Rock Trails Snowdonia”
Geology Walks Offer includes:
- 2 Guided Walks led by Paul Gannon
- 2 nights B&B, afternon tea each day, a packed lunch for each walk
- A signed copy of “Rock Trails"
- £140 per person (double occupancy)
- Single supplement: +£10/night
- Minimum of 4 persons for 2 nights, please enquire about dates
For dates and booking please call Ray on: 01678 521109
Abercelyn is ideally situated in Snowdonia for geology fiels trips. Some highlights of the area include:
- The Bala Fault (Rift Valley) which formed the valley occupied by Bala Lake and Abercelyn
- Magenese mine and an unusual stone quary, a short walk from Abercelyn
- The Aran ridge formed by igneous action
- Arenig Fawr shaped by igneous activity, glacial cirque and an impressive granite quarry, which isn't granite
- Rhobell Fawr the first volcano in the area and impressive explosion breccia
- Cader Idris with igneous formations, glaciation, talis rampart and peri-glactial landslide
- The Harlech Dome with pre-Cambrian sedimentary formations and excellent examples of turbidites
- Yr Arddu a rhyolitic dome, bedded pyroclastic tuff, flow foliated banding, ignimbrite flow with siliceous nodules, and columnar jointing
Of course, walks can be tailored to the group's wishes.