Kayaking or canoeing at Abercelyn, Bala, Snowdonia
Kayak or Canoe coaching or just "try-it" on Lake Bala, white-water or the sea
We offer kayaking and canoeing at special prices if you are staying at Abercelyn. Kayaking/canoeing is provided by a qualified BCU Coach (Ray) who has considerable experience of kayaking and canoeing.
A quick explanation of kayaking and canoeing/open boating:
- Kayaking: The paddler sits in a kayaks and uses a double bladed paddle. We use single-kayaks (decked, closed cockpit) which are suitable for whitewater.
- Canoeing/open boating: the paddler sits or kneels in an open canoe (canadian canoe) and uses a single-bladed paddle. We use an open canoe which can take two adults and children if required.
Ray can provide a wide variety of kayaking/canoeing coaching or experience
for individuals, a family or small group including:
- Introduction to kayaking/canoeing on Lake Bala
- Kayaking/canoeing experience on Lake Bala or nearby whitewater
- Introduction to whitewater kayaking/canoeing on River Tryweryn or River Dee
- Sea kayaking experience/coaching including rescue techniques and trips on nearby estuaries and the sea
- Learning to roll/support strokes/water confidence in a nearby swimming pool (hire cost typically £20/two hours)
Being located in near Bala in North Wales gives unrivalled access to lakes, estuaries, rivers and managed white-water sites, e.g.:
- Lake Bala with magnificent mountain scenery
- Mile End Mill (Llangollen) managed site for Class II white-water
- Canolfan Tryweryn (National White-water centre) for Class II-III white-water
- River Tryweryn for Class II-IV white-water
- Mawddach and Dwyryd estuaries with fantastic views of Snowdonia
Ray Hind has 40-years canoeing experience and is a qualified BCU Level-3 coach. His canoeing experience includes representing GB at international canoe slalom and extensive alpine experience (Austria, Switzerland, France, Germany, Italy). Competition experience includes both slalom and white-water racing in all classes, i.e. kayak-single, canadian-single and canadian-double. In addition he has experience of sea-kayaking including circumnavigation of the Isle-of-Wight, Bristol Channel crossing and Pembrokeshire coast, Anglesey and the west coast of Scotland.
All sessions start with a safety briefing and can be tailored to the specific requirements of the group.
- Half-day (Lake): £45/group
- Half-day (white-water): £60/group
- Day: £75/group
- Kayaks, paddles, buoyancy aids: £10/person (up to 4)
- Canoe/Open Boat, paddles, buoyancy aid: £30/half-day or £50/day (2 adults + children)
- Water fees £3-£5/person if applicable
These group prices include a 25% reduction for those staying at Abercelyn
- Morning session: 0930 - 1230
- Afternoon session: 1300 - 1600